If you are a nurse or or studying to be a nurse, you need to always work on keeping your nursing skills sharp and up to date. These days, it is quite easy to do so with the many free, online nursing and related health courses that you can take from the comfort of your own home. These courses will help you to become a better nurse, which will help to improve your career prospects over time. Click here for top Online nursing degree programs from accredited schools.
Some of the best free classes include:
- Empire State Public Health Training Center – Public Health Nurse Ready – Public Health Nurse Ready (PHN Ready) is an online certificate program for RNs working in public health, or desiring to know about how public health works. LPNs and other RNs may find the certificate of interest as well. All courses are self-paced and on-line, with most courses providing continuing education credits.
- Nursing Fundamentals: Offered by Kaplan University, this course will introduce you to all of the fundamentals of nursing and wellness. This course will deal with patient safety, how to monitor vital signs, bathing and grooming and initial assessment.
- Biology of Water and Health: Offered by Tufts University, this course will train you to think outside of the box when dealing with problems related to water. The class will deal with the many ways that human health and water are related. It also will deal with social, economic and behavioral dimensions related to drinking water in a global context.
- Fundamentals of Oncology for Public Health Practitioners: Offered by Johns Hopkins University, this class consists of a series of lectures of cancer prevention control in clinical oncology that covers the treatment, diagnosis and prevention and screening measures that are used for cancers that include lung, breast, prostate and colon. After you take this course, you will be able to discuss disease presentation, treatment approaches for cancers, and be able to explain the big differences in prevention studies, compared to treatment studies.
- Utilization of Nursing Research in Advanced Practice: Offered by the University of Michigan, this course will present you with an evidence-based approach to advanced nursing practice. Research findings for nursing practice will be provided in terms of racial, ethnic and socioeconomic importance. You will gain a good understanding of the research processes, applicable theories and organizational dynamics and leadership functions that are applied to design and process of implementing the latest research in a health care setting.
- Human Growth and Development: Offered by Tufts University, the study of development and growth can help nurses to become better caregivers. In this course, you will learn about diseases, conditions and disabilities that are directly related to the disruption of the development of mental and physical processes. You also will learn about growth and development and how it provides a framework to understand who a patient is. You will gain more knowledge of the landscape of caregiving and it will improve how you are able to relate in your clinical encounters with patients. This will help to make you a much more skilled nurse in clinical settings.
- Critical Analysis of Popular Diets and Dietary Supplements: This course by Johns Hopkins University will analyze the science that is behind the mechanisms of weight control, and how many weight loss diets are designed and how they work in practice. The idea for this course is for the nurse to gain knowledge to be able to appraise a given weight control diet or supplement and to select the one that is most likely to succeed for a certain person.
- Introduction to Clinical Pain Problems: Offered by Tufts University, this course will introduce nurses to the principles of biomedical evaluation and management in the most common clinical pain problems. It will provide ways that you can evaluate effectively the biomedical characteristics of the patient pain experience. You will learn about temporal pattern, severity, location, quality, intensity, and exacerbating and relieving factors.
By taking some of these excellent, free online courses, you will gain the skills, knowledge and empathy that you need to succeed in your nursing career.