15 Great Nursing Careers in Assisted Living
1. Geriatric NursePerhaps the most obvious nursing career in assisted living is as a geriatric nurse. These nurses work with elderly patients within a nursing home, handling the issues that many of them have, such as chronic illness, arthritis, dementia, and heart or lung problems. How to Become One To become a geriatric nurse, you will need your RN designation, and BSN, and should have some degree of experience working with elderly patients. Job Growth Trends This field is expected to see growth of approximately 20% by 2022. Salary The average salary for most nurses is $65,000 per year.
2. Assisted Living Director/AdministratorAn assisted living director will hire and manage other assisted living staff, as well as overseeing admission for residents, care of the facility and some finance details. Responsibilities will vary from one place to another. How to Become One Although you could gain an interview with a bachelor’s degree, many assisted living locations prefer candidates with a master’s degree in health services. Job Growth Trends The BLS expects employment for assisted living directors to grow by 22% by 2020. Salary The salary for an assisted living director can be anywhere between $74,700 and $114,550 a year, depending on the area in which you work.
3. Long Term Care NurseLong term care nurses work within assisted living communities and care homes to provide care for people who can no longer look after themselves without assistance. They are trained as registered nurses but often undergo additional training to deal with elderly patients, or those with mental and physical disorders. How to Become One To become a long term care nurse, you would need at least a Bachelor of Science in nursing degree. Job Growth Trends The Bureau of labor statistics expects nursing positions to see a growth of 19% by 2022. Salary The average salary is $68,000 a year.
4. Wellness NurseThe task of a wellness nurse is primarily to improve the life quality of an elderly patient by helping them to live his or her life in a healthier, safer manner. There are various kinds of nurses who can perform this job, including licensed practical nurses, vocational nurses, and registered nurses. How to Become One A wellness nurse would need a bachelor’s degree in nursing science, and should be a licensed RN. Job Growth Trends Nursing positions in general are expected to grow by 19% by 2022. Salary The average salary for a wellness nurse is $49,000 a year.
5. Critical Care NurseAlthough a critical care nurse works primarily within the intensive care unit of a hospital, they may also work within hospices and nursing homes. Generally, they are expected to watch and monitor the health status of their patients. How to Become One Critical care nurses need a BSN, as well as additional training and continued classes in the area of critical care. They should also have two years of experience within an ICU before they are certified as a critical care nurse. Job Growth Trends This field should grow by 16% by 2022. Salary The average salary is $61,000 a year.
6. Nurse AdvocateA nurse advocate creates a link between a medical professional and a patient, helping the family and patient to understand what is going on with procedures, medical care and billing. The nurse may also discuss alternative treatments with the family. How to Become One A nurse advocate will need to be a licensed RN and gain their BSN. They may also take classes relating to financial matters and social issues in healthcare. Job Growth Trends The field of nursing should grow by 19% by 2022. Salary The average salary is around $57,000 a year.
7. Psychiatric NurseA psychiatric nurse deals with mental health issues, therapy and crisis intervention, helping patients to deal effectively with their mental illness and avoid suffering from life-long problems. In assisted living, a psychiatric nurse may help with illnesses such as dementia, anxiety and depression. How to Become One You will need a BSN, and to be a registered nurse, and you should also have an education in mental health. Job Growth Trends Job growth should be over 20% by 2022. Salary The salary for most nurses is usually around $65,000 a year.
8. Nurse PractitionerA nurse practitioner is regarded as an essential part of family medicine, and they usually work under the supervision of a doctor, performing patient exams and diagnosing illnesses. Within assisted living, they may help to prescribe drugs and diagnose patients. How to Become One A nurse practitioner must have both BSN and MSN degrees. Job Growth Trends This field is expected to grow by 25% by 2022. Salary The average salary for nurse practitioners is $94,000 a year.
9. Oncology NurseAn oncology nurse works with patients who suffer from cancer. This is usually quite a common condition within assisted living facilities. Oncology nurses work with patients on a one to one basis within a nursing home, in a hospital, or within clinical care centers to administer chemotherapy and provide cancer treatments. How to Become One An oncology nurse must have a BSN then work as a registered nurse for several years, before earning their certification in oncology nursing. Job Growth Trends This field is expected to grow by 20% by 2022. Salary The usual salary for an oncology nurse is $68,000 a year.
10. Pain Management NurseA pain management nurse helps to alleviate chronic examples of pain, assisting in improving the life quality of patients. This can be essential within an assisted living setting, helping elderly patients not to become addicted to medication, and learning where their pain originates from. How to Become One You will need a BSN, as well as a good deal of experience in nursing, including 2000 hours experience in pain management nursing. Job Growth Trends This field should grow by 19% by 2022. Salary The typical salary for a pain management nurse is $67,000 a year.
11. Travel NursesA travel nurse may work within various assisted living residences for short periods of time. They typically cover certain areas of the US, and provide healthcare expertise to places which have a short-term need. How to Become One You will need to be a registered nurse, and have your BSN. It is also useful to have at least two years of nursing experience. Job Growth Trends Travel nurses should see a growth of 20% by 2022. Salary The average salary is around $70,000 with the addition of benefits and a housing allowance.
12. Health Policy NurseA health policy nurse works to come up with policies that will make people healthier. In an assisted living capacity, they may look at health procedures within a care home and devise new strategies to improve the safety of patients. How to Become One A health policy nurse should have a BSN and MSN degree, as well as experience working within nursing. They will need to participate in a residency in health policy to gain the necessary experience. Job Growth Trends This field should see a growth of 17% by 2022. Salary The average salary is around $66,000 a year.
13. Certified Nursing AssistantA certified nursing assistant helps a healthcare providers to manage the needs of a patient under supervision. They cannot carry out some procedures or treat patients due to legal reasons, but often act as a link between patients and nursing teams. How to Become One Nursing assistants must have at least a high school diploma to enter a certificate program. Job Growth Trends The growth rate for this area should increase by 21% by 2022. Salary The average salary is $28,300 a year.
14. Clinical NurseA clinical nurse will diagnose and treat patients with serious health problems. Although they typically work with patients within a clinical or hospital setting, they can be useful within assisted living facilities for individuals who are chronically ill. How to Become One A clinical nurse should have a BSN and MSN degree, as well as specialized training as a clinical nurse. Job Growth Trends This field is expected to see growth of 20% by 2022. Salary The typical salary is $67,000 a year.
15. Public Health NurseA public health nurse cares for an entire population of people, focusing largely on preventative medicine and teaching people how to care for themselves. This can be useful in an assisted living situation in teaching elderly individuals how to best ensure their own safety. How to Become One To become a public health nurse, you would need a BSN, and some experience working as a nurse. Job Growth Trends This field is expected to see growth of 18% by 2022. Salary The typical salary is around $66,000 a year.
NurseJournal.org is an advertising-supported site. Featured or trusted partner programs and all school search, finder, or match results are for schools that compensate us. This compensation does not influence our school rankings, resource guides, or other editorially-independent information published on this site.
Are you ready to earn your online nursing degree?
Resources and articles written by professionals and other nurses like you.