At Des Moines Area Community College, students can take part in either a diploma or an associate’s degree for medical assistants. The programs follow the same curriculum for three semesters. The fourth semester is not applicable for those who simply want to achieve a diploma. This is an option for those who want to work as soon as possible and who do not wish to have higher professional responsibilities at that particular time. The first three semesters focus on subjects that include business English and math, medical terminology, human relations, word processing, transcription, medical billing, insurance, drug terminology and medical coding.
The degree program is a more specialized option and includes additional credit hours. It builds on the first three semesters and adds subjects like oral communication, business communication, interpersonal communication, accounting and computer applications. To complete the program, students have to perform an internship as a medical secretary. The school does not provide this internship and students are responsible for organizing their own.
• Campus: Ankeny, Boone, Carroll, Newton and Des Moines, IA
• Type: Public
• Accreditation: CAAHEP
• Tuition: $3,990 for in state students and $7,980 for out of students
• Minimum time commitment: 48 credits for diploma, 64 credits for associate’s degree
• Online availability: No
• Degree requirements: High school or GED, Grade C in biology or equivalent, typing skills
• Programs: Diploma and associate’s degree
• School Site: Tuition and Financial Aid